Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Round the Waking Clock

 
 
This picture sums up feeding Quinn. It is exhausting and it often requires an adult beverage to complete. Her struggle to finish bottles in the NICU has continued, and amplified. She now "eats" every 2-3 hours and it takes FOREVER. Occasionally she will throw us a bone and eat in 15 minutes, but typically it takes about 45 minutes to an hour to finish 2 ozs. I have started supplementing breast milk with her preemie formula to ensure she gets the calories. Quinn has not really nursed since she came home from the NICU. Although pumping exclusively is not my idea of a great time, I am grateful because I would not know how much milk she is taking and I am quite certain I would lose my mind if I had to feed her all the time.
 
 
Clearly, she is not starving. She weighs about 10.5 lbs and her cheeks continue to defy gravity. Her wrists and legs even have fat rolls, a major accomplishment given her scrawny beginning. She is adorable and stubborn and feeding her should be a requirement for any one considering having a child or used as a method to make sure you never have to make dinner again. When faced with the decision of feeding her or making dinner, 10 of 10 times people will make homemade dumplins.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment