Friday, January 25, 2013

Is this normal?


I have never asked "is this normal" as much as I have in the last month. I usually take pride in being unique, I like when people say I don't know many people like you. However when it comes to health, I have learned (the hard way) this is not a desired trait. Every time a doctor, nurse, physical therapist talks to me about my daughter, my first response is almost always is this normal? I feel like I am a broken record, I appreciate the health care professionals responding to me like I am not totally insane. I have learned not to google their responses to see if they are giving me the whole story. Instead I just ask STO, otherwise known as my husband. I do not know why I do this since he has an encyclopedic memory and he is prone to telling the really bad stuff that could happen first, I panic. Of course, he quickly recovers with it probably means nothing. Comforting, really comforting. In the last week, the nugget has had several tests ordered - a head ultrasound, hearing, and eye tests. Of course, upon hearing this I panic. The nurses reassure me that these are routine for preemies and it is positive step towards her being able to come home.

Wait, do the NICU nurses come home with us or are we expected to care for this tiny child by ourselves?

That question is of course rhetorical. Who wouldn't want to hang around and take care of all the nugget's needs without charging us? I would have liked to have been able to prepare for the arrival of my little one by cleaning, shopping, washing tiny clothes. But as I mentioned earlier, I'm not normal but this time it was not my choice. I wanted to have the nesting phase and the Mary Poppins room for my child. Even though I initially didn't want a shower, I warmed to the idea and couldn't wait to see all my family and friends and listen to them make fun of my huge belly and non-existent ankles. My shower was scheduled for January 5, my child was born on January 1. So instead of happily organizing the gifts lovingly given to the nugget, I was madly purchasing the baby necessities online while coming out of the haze of having surgery and no sleep. Who knew preemie clothes were so hard to find? I found enough to cover the short time she will actually be a preemie without having to wash clothes every few hours. STO left the hospital long enough to surprise me with a shower in a giant baby gift bag filled with many different baby items and a few things for me. He thought of everything, I was still sad I didn't get a shower but his thoughtfulness really made my day. Yes, he is too good to be true and I have no idea what I did to deserve him.

My in-laws, mother, and brother were here for during the 10 day hospital adventure and helped clean the house and put away the ridiculous amount of Christmas decorations I put up this year. Our great friends and adoptive parents also stayed with us, helping us celebrate an unconventional yet fesitive New Years' Eve in room 217. We are blessed with tremendous family support, actually they have all been back to help us out since they left after the nugget was born. STO's parents were able to stay for 2 weeks to drive me around, do amazing amounts of cleaning, and ensure I didn't lose my mind. My mom and brother took our big dogs so we could try to sleep at night while we have the opportunity.

So while we can, we are appreciating the world's safest, albeit most expensive babysitter and trying to gear ourselves up for the nightly feedings, mass amounts of diaper changing (we already know she takes great pride in this activity), etc. Although it has been nice to be able to recuperate without the responsibility of caring for a newborn, I can't wait until she is able to come home. Now she just needs to learn to eat. Seriously, I never knew how obsessed I would become over another person's eating habits. I suppose this is another perk of motherhood. I'm guessing bathroom habits are next.

1 comment:

  1. I am truly awed and humbled that I am able to share in Whitney and Quinn's adventures. Not a single moment passes that I don't think of how blessed I am. It is so exciting for our family to share our family's journey with Bailey and Reece too.
    And Whitney's love for the various eating faux pas and art of eating will soon envelop our lives as we start with Quinn's next phase: learning to eat. All the sucking, slurping, smacking, burping and other various noises. This will be so exciting.

    ReplyDelete