Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Babies = Time Warp

                                             
                              
 
Who knew babies created an alternate sense of time reality? I originally attributed the inability keep accurate time when Nugget arrived to her being in the NICU. She has been home for three weeks and I am not sure where those weeks went. We have had STO's parents helping for a week or so since she has been home. My mother and brother have been here for a few weekends, and my friend since college came to meet her niece. All in three weeks. It feels like it has been three days.
 
This is a new level of exhausting. Despite all our lovely company, I am certain I am not fit for conversation - polite or otherwise. I have been accused of being compulsive or focusing too much on on one thing at a time. I may never be told that again. I can't complete a to-do list if my life depended on it. I can barely finish a conversation without wondering how it began. My friends may not be my friends much longer if I don't remember to call them back. But honestly, I remember to call at 2 am. I am positive none of them are in a chatty mood at that time, unless they have had a few adult beverages in which case I am positive they would not want to talk to me.
 
I have heard stories of mothers who become human again, and get more than 2 hours of sleep in a row. That is not me, that doesn't even look like a possibility to my sleep deprived brain. The good news is Nugget is doing great. Gaining weight like a champ, she's 6 lbs 10 oz and a little over 19 inches long. She was supposed to be born tomorrow, so she is "supposed" to be here now. She is 8 weeks old today and acting like a proper newborn. Keeping me up, eating all the time, acting like a pterodactyl, and making the strangest noises I have ever heard from a baby. Otherwise, she's still perfect to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment